SMX BIGGEST SEARCH GEEK CONTEST
OFFICIAL RULES/TERMS AND CONDITIONS
For residents of the United States
This contest is conducted in Australia, Canada, Germany, United Kingdom and United States. These Official Rules apply to United States participants. If you are an Australia, Canada, Germany or United Kingdom participant, please refer to the Official Rules of your country.
For United Kingdom participants, read the Official Rules for United Kingdom
For Australia participants, read the Official Rules for Australia
For Canada participants, read the Official Rules for Canada
For France participants, read the Official Rules for France (French)
For Germany participants, read the Official Rules for Germany (German)
For Germany participants, read the Official Rules for Germany (English)
Sponsored by Marin Software Incorporated (the "Sponsor"). NO ENTRY FEE. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. The Contest begins on November 14, 2013 at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time and ends on February 14, 2014 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time (the “Contest Period”).
1. Eligibility: The Biggest Search Geek Contest (the "Contest") is open to legal residents of the U.S. (excluding Puerto Rico and Arizona), aged eighteen (18) or older and who have an active e-mail account and Internet access, as of the beginning of the Contest Period. Employees of the Sponsor or Third Door Media, Inc./SMX and their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising, promotion, fulfillment or other coordinating agencies, individuals providing services to the Sponsor through an outsourcer or temporary employment agency during the Contest Period, and their respective immediate family members and persons living in their same household, are not eligible to enter in the Contest. Participation in the Contest constitutes entrant's full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules & Regulations (the "Official Rules"). VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
2. To Enter: To enter online, select the Contest link from the Contest main page on http://biggestsearchgeek.com during the Contest Period. Answer all of the questions presented to you on the Contest entry form, which consists of a series of questions that you must answer (the “Contest Entry Form”) and click on the button to submit the Contest Entry Form before the end of the Contest Period. No mechanically reproduced mail-in entries are allowed and any use of robotic, automatic, programmed or the like entry methods will void all such entries by such methods.
Only one Contest Entry Form may be submitted per person. Entrants submitting multiple Contest Entry Forms will be disqualified. The contents of Contest Entry Forms may not be shared with third parties. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entrants that post or share Contest Entry Form questions or answers.
3. Contest Entry Form Creation: Wister Walcott, co-founder and vice president of products at Marin Software is the main author of the Contest Entry Form and Danny Sullivan, leading "search engine guru," contributed some questions on organic search and provided a review of questions overall. Mr. Walcott directs the development of Marin Software, an online advertising platform for managing search, display social and mobile marketing. He has extensive experience in marketing automation and software-as-a-service technologies at Siebel Systems (now Oracle), and large-scale data warehousing at Composite Software and Oracle Corp. Additionally, Walcott has served as VP of Marketing at two companies (Pilot Networks, Composite Software), where he was responsible for branding, outbound telemarketing, direct mail, and online marketing. He holds multiple US patents and degrees in computer science and business from Harvard University. Mr. Sullivan has been helping webmasters, marketers and everyday web users understand how search engines work for over a decade. His expertise about search engines is often sought by the media, and he has been quoted in places like The Wall St. Journal, USA Today, The Los Angeles Times, Forbes, The New Yorker and Newsweek and ABC's Nightline. Mr. Sullivan began covering search engines in late 1995, when he undertook a study of how they indexed web pages. The results were published online as "A Webmaster's Guide To Search Engines," a pioneering effort to answer the many questions site designers and Internet publicists had about search engines. The positive reaction from both marketers and general search engine users caused Mr. Sullivan to expand the guide into Search Engine Watch, where he served as editor-in-chief through November 2006. Now he heads up Search Engine Land as editor-in-chief, taking it into the next generation of search coverage. Mr. Sullivan also serves as Third Door Media's chief content officer.
4. Prize Selection: The entries will be judged and scored based on the number of questions correctly answered in a timely fashion. Each question has a possible total of 5 points out of 100. Partially correct multi-part questions will receive partial credit, up to 5 points total per question. The score will be represented as a percentage of total questions answered correctly. If any ties must be broken to determine the Grand Prize Winner (defined below), the grand prize will go to the entrant who completed the questions in the least amount of time. The Grand Prize Winner and other prize winners (as set forth below) will be selected at the offices of the Sponsor, located at 123 Mission Street, 25th Floor San Francisco, CA 94105 within 7 days of the end of the Contest Period.
Submission of a Contest entry constitutes entrant's certification that the entry is his/her own original work and does not infringe the intellectual property or proprietary rights of any third party, including, without limitation, any third party patents, copyrights or trademarks. Entrant hereby agrees not to instigate, support, maintain or authorize any action, claim or lawsuit against the Sponsor, or any other person, on the grounds that any use of the entry as provided herein, infringes any of entrant's rights as creator of the entry, including, without limitation, trademark rights, copyrights and moral rights or "droit moral." By submitting a Contest Entry Form, entrant hereby grants Sponsor and its successors and assigns an irrevocable, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sub-licensable (through multiple tiers) and transferable license to use, copy, transmit or otherwise distribute, perform, modify, create derivative works based upon, incorporate into other works, publicly perform and display the Contest Entry Form or any portion thereof, in or through any medium, whether now known or hereafter created. Nothing herein shall constitute an employment, joint venture, or partnership relationship between entrant and Sponsor.
The Grand Prize Winner and other prize winners will be notified by e-mail and / or telephone as provided by entrant on the Contest Entry Form.
5. Prizes and Odds: The prizes to be awarded from the Contest total across Australia, Canada, Germany, United Kingdom and United States are as follows:
The Grand Prize will be awarded to the entrant with the highest number of correct answers (the “Grand Prize Winner”) as described in Section 4 above. In addition, to the Grand Prize Winner, the Contest entrant from in each of these three (3) geographies (i) United States or Canada; (ii) Germany or the United Kingdom; and (iii) Australia who answers the most correct questions in the shortest period of time from beginning the Contest Entry Form to submitting the Contest Entry Form (the “Geography Winners”) will also receive a prize from the Sponsor as described below. In addition to the Grand Prize Winner and the Geography Winners, the fifty (50) Contest entrants who answer the most correct questions in the shortest period of time from beginning the Contest Entry Form to submitting the Contest Entry Form (the “Runners Up”) will also receive a prize from the Sponsor as described below.
The Grand Prize Winner will receive, subject to the terms of these Official Rules, (i) a round trip flight journey, with hotel accommodation included, for the Grand Prize Winner and a travel companion, to Search Marketing Expo - SMX West 2014, which will be held in San Jose, California on March 11-13, 2014 at the San Jose Convention Center and (ii) two All Access Passes to Search Marketing Expo - SMX West 2014. If the winner has already purchased his or her All Access Pass, a refund of the purchase price will be given. In addition, the Grand Prize Winner will receive an award at SMX West 2014 presented on stage by Danny Sullivan and Matt Ackley, CMO at Marin Software, during SMX West 2014 by the Sponsor or a designee of the Sponsor who is a nationally recognized expert in search engines and online search. Approximate value of the Grand Prize is $6,500 USD.
In connection with the Grand Prize, all other costs and expenses not specifically included herein, including but not limited to transportation to gateway; ground transportation; transfers; food; beverages; mini-bar; insurance; gratuities, souvenirs, etc. are the sole responsibility of the winner. Winner and travel companion must travel together and possess necessary travel documents, e.g. valid Federal or state government issued ID, at least thirty (30) days prior to travel. The trip is intended solely for attendance at Search Marketing Expo - SMX West 2014 which will be held on the dates referenced above and for no other purpose. All reservations must be made a minimum of 2 days prior to departure, and are subject to black-out periods and availability. Travel must originate from and end at the same airport or train station. Once travel commences, no stopovers are permitted; if stopover occurs, full fare will be charged from stopover point for the remaining segments, including return, of the trip. No changes will be made to travel details once any portion of travel arrangements has been made. Ticket re-issues and/or time extensions not allowed. Only valid on flights operated on airlines approved by the Sponsor. Flight or train travel details are subject to space availability and carrier's regulations and conditions apply. Certain other restrictions may also apply. The trip may not be combined with any other offer and travel may not qualify for frequent flyer miles. Winner and travel companion will be required to provide valid Federal or state government issued picture ID at time of travel; any identification requirements associated with air travel are the winner's responsibility. The Sponsor will make travel and hotel arrangements for the winner, in reasonable consultation with the winner. Prizes are not redeemable for cash; nor are prizes transferable, refundable or substitutable except by the Sponsor with one of equal or greater value. Travel companion must be at least 18 years old as of the date of departure unless he/she is minor child of winner. All federal, state, local taxes and airport and customs fees if applicable are winner's sole responsibility.
Each of the three (3) Geography Winners will receive an Apple iPad (with approximate retail value of $330 USD), an Xbox One (with approximate retail value $559 USD) or Playstation 4 (with approximate retail value $460 USD).
Each of the fifty (50) Runners Up will receive a "Search Geek" recognition prize from the Sponsor, comprising (i) an email announcement to the fifty (50) Runners Up, (ii) listing of the name of each of the Runners Up on the Sponsor's website, accessible at www.marinsoftware.com, (iii) a digital button (“Digital Button”) to include on the blog/website of each of the Runners Up and (iv) a t-shirt to be picked up at the Sponsor's booth at SMX West 2014 or shipped to the Runner Up, if the Runner up is not attending SMX West 2014. The approximate retail value of the “Search Geek” recognition prize is $25 USD. Runners Up may only display and use the Digital Button on websites owned or operated by them for the purpose of identifying their participation in the Contest. Sponsor owns the Digital Button and any and all goodwill and other proprietary rights that are created by or that result from the Runner Up’s use of a Digital Button hereunder inures solely to the benefit of Sponsor. Runners Up may be required to discontinue their display and usage of the Digital Button if Sponsor, at any time, determines, in its sole discretion, that the Runner Up’s use of the Digital Button is inappropriate.
Neither Sponsor nor any agency has arranged for or carry any insurance of any kind for the winners’ benefit or that of their heirs, executors, administrators or assigns, relative to the winners’ use or enjoyment of the prizes, and they are solely responsible for obtaining and paying for any life, travel, accident, property or other insurance relative to their use or enjoyment of the prizes.
The odds of winning a prize or receiving an award depend on the total number of eligible entries received. No cash or other substitution of prizes or awards is permitted, except at the sole option of the Sponsor for a prize or award of equal or greater value. The Sponsor will not replace any lost or stolen prizes or awards. Winners are solely responsible for any and all federal, state, provincial and local taxes, if any, that apply to prizes or awards.
Total value of all prizes to be awarded: approximately $10,750 USD.
Winners are solely responsible for all income or other taxes, resulting from any prize won by them in the Contest and winners understand that their winning and acceptance of the prizes will be reported by Sponsor to any government agencies as may be required by law.
6. Notification of Winners and Award Recipients: Winners and award recipients will be notified by e-mail within five (5) business days of the selection, and may be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and publicity/liability release within seven (7) days of notification. If a selected winner or award recipient cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim a prize and/or where applicable an affidavit of eligibility and publicity/liability release is not timely received, is incomplete or modified, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate winner or award recipient will be selected from remaining valid, eligible entries timely submitted. In the event of a dispute regarding who submitted an entry, the entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the e-mail account specified in the entry. "Authorized account holder" is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. No automatically generated entries will be accepted.
7. General Rules: By entering the Contest, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules. The Contest is offered by Marin Software Incorporated, 123 Mission Street, 25th Floor San Francisco, CA 94105, which is not responsible for (i) late, lost, delayed, damaged, postage-due, incomplete, illegible, misdirected or undeliverable entries, responses, or other correspondence, whether by e-mail or postal mail or otherwise; (ii) theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials; or (iii) phone, electrical, network, computer, hardware, software program or transmission malfunctions, failures or difficulties.
You further agree to release, indemnify, defend and hold the Sponsor and Third Door Media, Inc./SMX and their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, directors, officers, employees, sponsors and agents, including advertising and promotion agencies, and assigns, and any other organizations related to the Contest, harmless, from any and all claims, injuries, damages, expenses or losses to person or property and/or liabilities of any nature that in any way arise from participation in this Contest or acceptance or use of a prize or parts thereof, including without limitation (i) any condition caused by events beyond the Sponsor's control that may cause the Contest to be disrupted or corrupted; (ii) any injuries, losses, or damages (compensatory, direct, incidental, consequential or otherwise) of any kind arising in connection with or as a result of the prize, or acceptance, possession, or use of the prize, or from participation in the Contest; and (iii) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Contest.
IN NO EVENT WILL THE SPONSOR OR THIRD DOOR MEDIA/SMX BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING LOSS OF USE, DATA, BUSINESS OR PROFITS) ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST, WHETHER SUCH LIABILITY ARISES FROM ANY CLAIM BASED UPON CONTRACT, WARRANTY, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, AND WHETHER OR NOT THE SPONSOR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH LOSS OR DAMAGE. Some jurisdictions do not allow the limitation or exclusion of liability for incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.
8. Additional Conditions: Except where prohibited, by participating in the Contest, entrant consents to the use of his/her name, photo and/or likeness, voice, biographical information, entry and statements attributed to entrant (if true) for advertising and promotional purposes, including without limitation, the world wide web, inclusion in the Sponsor's newsletters, the Contest website at biggestsearchgeek.com and the Sponsor's homepages at www.marinsoftware.com and searchmarketingexpo.com, without additional compensation. All entries, as applicable, become property of Sponsor and none will be acknowledged or returned. Allow six (6) to eight (8) weeks for delivery of prizes.
The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, modify or suspend the Contest in whole or in part, in the event of fraud, technical or other difficulties or if the integrity of the Contest is compromised, without liability to the entrant. The Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entrant or winner, as determined by the Sponsor, in its sole discretion. Contest is subject to these Official Rules and all applicable federal, state, provincial and local laws and regulations apply. As stated above, the Contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law. By participating in this Contest, you acknowledge that you have read these Official Rules and agree to abide by them and by the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to the Contest. These Official Rules are governed by the law of the State of California, without reference to rules governing choice of laws. Any action, suit or case arising out of, or in connection with, this Contest or these Official Rules must be brought in either the federal courts located in the Northern District of California or the state courts located in San Francisco, California.
10. Winner's List, Official Rules: For a list of prize winners or award recipients or a copy of these Official Rules, send your request and a stamped, self-addressed envelope to Biggest Search Geek Contest, Marin Software Incorporated, 123 Mission Street, 25th Floor San Francisco, CA 94105 or (for Winner's list only) send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Winner's list" as the email subject and contest name specified in the body of the e-mail.
11. The Sponsor's Address: Marin Software Incorporated, 123 Mission Street, 25th Floor San Francisco, CA 94105.
Copyright © 2011-2013 Marin Software
October 4, 2013
Back to the contest »